Tuesday, January 28, 2014

PEComa?

I never expect to get another name of Joey's cancer after I sent his slides to Dana-farber, NIH, Children's oncology group, etc. tRCC is rare enough for me to find patients and treatment plan. As I continued to look for answers, I finally decided to send his slides to the most renowned pathologist in John Hopkins. Result came out it either PEComa or tRCC. I was shocked. The pathologist confirmed: your son's tumor is challenging and I can't give you a sure answer. 

I searched PEComa and found a long post from adult PEComa patients all over the world. It is an even more rare tumor than tRCC and there is no case of pediatric PEComa reported in this country. They mentioned two names. I contacted one of them and unfortunately he doesn't see children and he assured me that he never heard of a child who has PEComa. Then he referred me to a pathologist in Harvard who sees PEComa.

I called to have Joey's slide sent to Harvard. The lady in pathology office recognized my voice, "It's you again!" I feel very appreciated they are patient with me and always sent his slides without delay. They almost ran out of tumors after I sent them to 7 different institutes. 3 days later, Harvard sent me the report, it is PEComa. Reading the report, I couldn't believe my eyes. Another name? How about prognosis? treatment plan? is it genetic? All the terrible ideas came to me. 

In the next 3 days, I have another file of pediatric PEComa I could find in literature, none in this countries, but some in Asian countries. No treatment plan is clear and surgery is the only curative method if the disease is local. By this point, Joey has went through 5 months of oral chemo and 2 cycles of IV chemo. They both failed him. I'm mentally exhausted. We know so little about his disease since either is so rare, but in the other way as parents, we know too much, immunohistochemistry, target therapy, immunotherapy, etc, which scares us.

I decided I'm done sending his slides for more opinions. Human being doesn't have an answer. Joey's tumors overlap both cancers and the treatment plan needs to cover both. The only choice is to keep trying. Keep trying, keep trying until we find a cure someday. We will never give up.

15 comments:

  1. 我最近听说原来宾州有一个中医师治愈过癌症,用野山参吊命,那个病人最后竟然复原了。是我原来的同事。你愿意试一下吗?(From Lin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 也许可以试试中医。中医在治疗一些疑难杂症上有一些意想不到的疗效。可能它是调节人体内环境,用人体自身的能力去抵抗。因为人体是一个如此高深精密的整体,在科学如此发达的今天,人们也不能完全了解人体工作的机制。所以人体自身有很多修复的功能,也许除了从外找一些方法来杀死癌细胞外,还应该想办法调动身体的内部机制,看能不能有一些突破和进展! -- Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if a message from a stranger will help, but I want you to know that I've read a few posts here and wanted to offer you my prayers and let you know I will be thinking of you and your beautiful family while you go through this trying time. I also read your Thanksgiving post, and wanted to let you know that while this is my country of origin and that I have family here, my Thanksgivings are lonely, too. I have family that likes to do their own thing on the holiday and so we are either left to traveling long distances with two small children in the car or... go it alone. So, alone it is. I could hear myself in your words in that post, and wanted to reach out to you and say that you are not alone at all - you have many of us out here feeling your struggles, sharing some of it, and pulling for you. Much love and prayers to you and your beautiful family <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you all lots of love and prayer.
    "Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)
    “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.” (Revelation 21:3, 4)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 知道说什么都安慰不了一个母亲的心的。只能安慰你先过好现在的每一天。
    我那天在湾区92。3上听一个人介绍自己的药丸,中医,说很多西医没只好的癌症病人到他这里好了。但他也说,也有许多不好的。至少听上去诚实。我没记下他的名字。是个国内学中医的博士,现在经常在各处做实验,美国,中国,他诚实地说是在探索过程。
    我其实自己也对中医半信半疑。这么大的病症。
    不过还是想告诉你这些听来的信息。如果万一你觉得想更多了解呢。打电话去92。3问一下那些主持人应该可以得到信息。
    至少中医对身体的侵入性没有那么大,或许也值得一试。
    我想你最近一定收到许多各方主意。但最后面对的还是你。也帮不上你的忙。
    土土的病让我对癌症更加困惑,觉得我们人类对这个东西真是了解太少了,治疗方法也还是固定的那么几个。都很难说是真的有帮助的。
    而土土又满身活力让人困惑,感觉说不定就象我们身上长包,或许靠他年轻的生命力出过这么一下他又好起来。---人类对癌症了解的这么说,我们就更不能说真的没有靠自身免疫战胜的可能。
    他现在还快快乐乐的。那就按快乐来渡过。
    拥抱一下你。
    Edel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tonight is Chinese new year eve! i am thinking of you and pray for Joey and your family. All the best to you and we are all with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 也许,也许这是个不那么坏的消息。至少也许这是以前治疗不成功原因,病症不一样。现在更准确地知道了病的种类,或许可以更有效的对付它。土土妈妈加油!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 想说点什么,又不知道该说什么,只想告诉你,一直在默默的关注着你和土土,你的坚强,母爱,感染者很多人。

    朵朵妈

    ReplyDelete
  9. 有时候中医和西医并不冲突,土土妈,为你加油的同时也建议问问中医。如果你想了解,可以在网上说一下,我想很多人愿意提供中医candidate,至少先帮你filter一下。
    不管是哪种tumor,它的机制是一样的, 就是披着人自身细胞外皮的疯狂生长的坏细胞,从最基本的这点出发,也许中医有办法。加油!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 谢谢大家!我们去亚特兰大看过中医,吃中药就得停西药。我们迈不出这一步。他只有一个肾,中药伤肾,我们又不知道成分。太难决定了!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 看到网上不时有人讲得癌症被西医判死刑,后来用alternative的方法存活很多年的,我觉得如果西医没有对症的方法,也许就不该用侵犯性大的治疗方法,而是选择别的方式,未必是中医,也许能有收获呢。我对土土充满信心!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big big hug! both Tutu and you have been so brave. Even with the illness Tutu manged to live such a fullfilling life, admire him and so proud of him!

    Boogie

    ReplyDelete
  13. 喜欢看孩子的纯净无邪的笑,感觉天也更明媚起来。
    加油,默默为你们祈福。

    ReplyDelete
  14. 土土妈,

    我的一个亲戚在纽约做中医很久了,他和不少美国国内及大陆的中医都熟悉。他告诉我说在佛州就有一个中医赵软金博士,他在中药治疗肿瘤方面很有建树,并且创发了好几种成药,在当地医疗中心作临床试验,并在专业杂志上发表论文。

    他每天的肿瘤病人很多,在西边的Sarasota,

    Dr.Ruanjin Zhao
    3100 S Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34239
    (941) 365-8008

    我的亲戚说你可以告诉赵医生是他介绍的。我把我的亲戚的名字告诉KK吧,让她微信给你。

    AAmom

    ReplyDelete